Monday 9 November 2009

New Challenger Enters: Jade Ewan

There are very few weeks when such a number of modern pop leviathons simultaneously decide to release a single. Instead of doing what I did last week by reviewing three singles in one post the best course of action in my mind was to split them up.

As such today I am reviewing the new Sugababes single About A Girl.

For the purposes of evidence that could be used in a court of music I would like to state for the record that I have been a fan of the Sugababes since they first released Overload.

If this blog had been around at the time that Keisha was booted out you will have seen a huge 'Leave Britney Alone' style post as I was strongly affected by the loss of the final orignal member (although to be fair Heidi is a de facto original in my eyes). So on the release of Jade's first single as the sixth Sugababe it's interesting to hear how the harmonies have changed. In the past, with the addition of Amelle, they have avoided changing it too much as they found someone with a similar style of voice to the recently departed Mutya.

The answer is... I have no idea how it's changed as there is no sizable part where they all sing together. This idea will be resurrected upon the release of Sweet 7.


As pop songs go this is a fantastic second single to a now rather controversial seventh album. For the first time since Round Round the Sugababes have decided not to release a ballad or after-school special song as a follow-up and this plays to their advantage. While I am a true Sugababes fan I have never agreed with the songs that they release as singles since they apparently forget to release some of their best songs (such as Conversation's Over and Ace Reject). With the addition of About A Girl to the collective discography I am actually hopeful about how amazing their next album should be.

There isn't much to complain about this song, apart from the RedOne shout-out, as it's one of those songs that is simultaneously a classic Sugababes song and yet it doesn't sound like anything that they have released before. Sadly though, I miss Keisha's vocals which does detract from the amazingness...

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment